November 8th, 2011
If you have come across a dark growth on or inside of the walls of your home it might be black mold. If you hire someone to conduct mold testing and it is confirmed to be black mold than you must get rid of it. Mold removal a little bit more involved than it sounds and you may have to take on a project that too big for the average home owner. If at any point you become overwhelmed you should really consider hiring a professional mold removal company.
A common mold that appears in households is black mold. Black mold generally thrives when conditions are cool and damp. This means that the basement of the home is normally the most likely place for mold to grow. However, older buildings tend to have poor ventilation systems, which allow mold to prosper as well.
In the event that you do find black mold, you have a few options. You can either clean it up yourself or hire a local mold removal company. What you choose should depend on the severity of the black mold. If your mold is minor in nature, then you can most likely clean it yourself. However, if your black mold problem is severe, you are better off hiring a local contractor.
Get rid of Black Mold Quickly
For a minor problem, you can get rid of black mold very quickly. All you have to do is simply mix bleach with water and scrub the affected areas. The CDC also recommends that afterwards you scrub the same affected area with soapy water to ensure the mold is removed. If you do get rid of black mold yourself, make sure to wear gloves to avoid contact with mold and a mask to avoid inhaling the black mold.
Major mold problems require home restoration experience so unless you are qualified in that field, you should call a mold removal company. You can shop around to get a cheaper price, but do not wait too long. The longer you wait, the more damage the mold will do to your home.
Get Rid of Black Mold: DIY
If you do decide to get rid of black mold yourself, and there is a large amount of mold, you need to remember a few things. First, if you remove drywall, you must take all the moisture out of the air before replacing it. Otherwise, there is potential for the mold to grow again. Second, you should never mix bleach with any cleaning product that contains ammonia because the fumes are toxic.
Materials that are porous should be thrown away if they have been affected by mold. These materials include building materials such as drywall, wallpaper, carpeting, and ceiling tiles. Other hard surfaces such as concrete or tiling can just be cleaned.